Extreme SKILLZ Program!
Ten to fourteen-year-olds are the smartest students in the school. Yes, they are smarter than most adults! They are also physically competent and can excel in most physical challenges that are presented to them. The problem we discovered is they are so focused on what is socially acceptable that they have a hard time keeping themselves emotionally driven to the task at hand. The solution we found is to provide them with their own program that targets their stage of development in a manner that nurtures their social and emotional instability while at the same time building skills that set them up for success. With that said a structured program introducing extreme skill-based training in Martial Arts has proven to be very successful.
Here’s an overview of the stages of development of children ages 10 to 14:
- Physically– they typically have great technique and agility, but they can be lazy which leads to sloppiness.
- We expect them to initially be sloppy on things that are easy physically.
- The goal of our program is to get them to understand their potential if they pay attention to the intricate details. We normally bypass the basics elements of physical development and jump right into the complicated details
- Intellectually– they are extremely smart. Their critical thinking skills are top-notch, but their decision-making skills are typically the exact opposite, and that is why most adults treat them as a child.
- We expect them to initially make choices that are easy as compared to applying thought and effort.
- The goal of our program is to get them to see the bigger picture and apply their intellect.
- Emotionally– thanks to science, they are typically all over the emotional spectrum. This is more prominent in boys than girls.
- We expect their efforts to be based on what they think is cool.
- The goal of our program is to help them apply intrinsic motivation and realize their true potential. Our goal is to also help them improve their decision-making skills with drills that challenge their reaction time.
- Socially– they care about what their peers think. If something is cool, then they will put more effort into it.
- We expect them to initially hold back if they are uncomfortable as a defense mechanism.
- The goal for our program is to help them excel at everything they do, especially in front of a crowd.
By understanding the stages of development of 10 and 14-year olds, we were able to select 8 age-appropriate skills that make up the Extreme SKILLZ Program:
We cover one of the above skills per class (in order.) During each class we run a warm-up; deliver a mat chat about the skill; run two or three skill-building drills, and then we have them demonstrate the skill to earn their skill-stripe. They must earn all 8 skill-stripes in order to graduate to the next belt level. Once they earn their next belt they will continue to run through all 8 skills earning their skill-stripes with a more challenging curriculum as they advance to each rank. They graduate to the Elite program and begin to work towards their 1st Degree Black Belt after they have successfully completed all 9 belt ranks of the Extreme SKILLZ program.
Get Info About Our AMAZING Specials!
Our Main Programs
Our Kids Taekwondo classes focus on the creative development of their bodies and mind. They will have a lot of fun learning. Click below to learn more.
Adult Martial Arts
Our Adult martial arts classes provide an excellent resource to get you into shape, gain flexibility, and teach you self defense. Click below to learn more.
The competition team teaches students how to be competitive by learning a level beyond regular Taekwondo. By invitation only. Click below to learn more.